Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cooking PSA

Before I go to bed...this evening I made some chocolate covered strawberries. I looked up a recipe first because if I was just going by what I thought, I would just melt some chocolate and dip in the strawberries. The recipe I found said to use shortening but others said you could substitute butter for shortening.

So I waddle my happy pregnant butt downstairs, put the chocolate and some butter in a bowl, and microwave it. As soon as I took it out-uh oh...this is so wrong. I thought maybe heating it some more would help. Nope. I was just left with a bowl full of ruined chocolate that was so thick you couldn't even stir it.

Then I decide maybe I didn't heat it for long enough the first time and that it's a good idea to get a new bowl, new chocolate, new butter, and try again....not a good idea.

Finally I wondered if it was the butter. I melted some chocolate by itself and sure enough, 2 dirty bowls full of wasted chocolate later, I got my chocolate covered strawberries. My PSA for the day? Don't microwave butter and chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. Ha... good to know. I've seen containers in the grocery store that have the chocolate already to heat up with instructions.. fool proof (at least I hope, haha)

    Love the new look of your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah next time I think that's the route I will be going :P I wasted about 2 bags of chocolate chips haha. I just kept thinking what the heck?! I don't know why, but it totally was not working.

    And thank ya much :)

    ReplyDelete